Wednesday, August 22, 2012

McHugh Hike: the mountain that fought back

This past saturday I went hiking with a friend to McHugh Creek. As we were pulling up to the parking lot around 10am, we saw a bear across from the car. I think I was more calm because I was in the car and once the bear saw us it ran up over the rocks and hid. So, we went up and parked and started the hike. Thankfully, we did not encounter any more bears. The trail was really pretty and the weather was great....until we came to a bend in the trail and decided to hike up the mountain instead of hiking to the lakes. Thats when the clouds decided to roll in, but it was ok. We were scrambling over the rocks when the wind picked up and started to blow with force. Still, we pressed on. I was scrambling up the steep incline to try and reach the summit. The wind really was howling then , it got up to about 50-60mph. I finally made it to a low lying rock face, I could not go any more. My friend made it to a rock face about 5-10ft above me. We sat up there about 20 minutes and then decided to head down. I slide down the incline since I could not stand against the incline and walk down hill. It took about a hour for us to scramble down that part. Then we got back to the rocks, but now they were slick because it had rained while we were up the slope. All I could think about was getting down off the rocks back down into the woods. Finally, we made it down back to the trail, then we had to hike back to the car. Everything was wet and soaked. About 7ish pm we finally made it make to the car. I have some pictures. I was so happy to get clean and dry. I dont know if I will be brave enough to fight with that mountain again.









1 comment: