Friday, May 13, 2011

A Week of Many Firsts

This week at work I had lots of firsts. I helped/assisted in a c-section on a yorkshire terrier. I rubbed the puppies. She had three puppies-2males and 1 female. I rubbed and suctioned until the puppies were whining and squirming around. Everything went well, and about a hour or so after the surgery which included a spay-the whole happy, healthy family went home. It is good when the story has a happy ending.The next night, I helped assist the doctor with porcupine quill removal. It was a very scary sight. I wish I took some pictures, but I didn't have a camera. But, the dog tried to eat the procupine, because the whole roof of the dog's mouth, the lower jaw, all the lips, and the tongue were covered. I was so scared to intubate the animal because I was afraid of pushing a quill down as I pushing the tube down. I couldn't see pass the quills down the throat, so the doctor having done lots of quill removals, intubated the dog. It took the doctor about a hour and half the get all of them out, and she couldn't get all of them out to prevent further tissue damage. But, the dog did well. He went home later on in the morning. That same night, we also did an anal gland abscess cleanse and drainage on a cat, and we bandaged a golden reterievers pads which were torn. So, we were pretty busy that night. On tuesday night, my boss let me and other tech use her cats as "pin cushions." We placed catheters, drew blood, and attempted to do a cystocentesis(place a needle through the skin directly in the urinary bladder). I learned how to work the ultrasound and position the scope. Then, I tried to poke the needle in, but I couldn't hit the bladder. But, it was fun to see the bladder on the screen, plus we got to see the arteries pulse on the screen. My work week went well this week.
Tommorrow, I am checking out a big festival/ market thing downtown while Graham is at work.
Next friday, me and Graham are going to check out the midnight showing of the new Pirates of the Carribean. Things are going well. Our favorite store, Fred Meyer, which we can walk to has been having a super big sale this week. So we have gotten several things a great sales prices.
I am going to check out some more college groups next week on my days off so hopefully we can meet some new people.

No comments:

Post a Comment