Saturday, April 2, 2011

My first attempt

Here's my first attempt at blogging. I figured it might be an easy way to keep everyone updated on all my new adventures here in Alaska.
Graham and I got here in Anchorage around 12:30-1am on friday Apr 1st. We are staying in a temporary extended hotel until we can find a more permanent or semi-permanent place. We are looking for apartments and are looking for something as soon as possible. Also, we are kinda starting to look for a car, but we want to find the apartment first.
I am trying to get used to the new time difference and the higher altitude. It seems that the days are longer here. I know that the daylight hours are longer here and will continue to add more hours until sometime in June. But, what I mean is the day seems to go slower. That the hours are longer and the day seems to move slower. But, that is just more adjusting I have to do.
It is still snowing and pretty cold here. The highs are in the 30s with the lows being in the 20s.
I don't think that the idea that I have moved here as really sunk in yet. It kinda feels like I am on vacation.
It may have to due with the fact that I have not started work yet or the fact that we are staying in a hotel.
But, the reality of the move is slowly setting in.
I start work on tuesday, Apr 5. I can't wait. I am very excited to get to work in my first "grown up" job. I also can't wait to put to practice everything I learned in school.
I think once we get a apartment and I can have a bedroom and a kitchen again. I think I will be more settled in, but for now, we are making do.
Today, Graham and I went out to the Alaska Natural History Musuem. It was pretty fun. It was amazing to see all the different kinds of wildlife that live in Alaska. I was excited to find out that there are flying squirrels and penquins. Maybe one day, I can get to see one in wild.
So thats what we have been up since we got here.

1 comment: